"You're The Only One That Thinks That..."
· You’re the only one that thinks that, you know.
· Nobody sees it the way you do.
Do you want to win an argument so badly that you’ll allude to “everyone else” to pressure the person? Or perhaps you are trying to make the other person feel bad, or even that they are not quite sane? If not, don’t do this. Do NOT use the anonymous “they” or “everyone” or “nobody” to apply pressure. It’s dirty pool.
Make It Better:
So what if you really do believe that the person is incorrect and that most people would disagree with him or her on the issue? Try out these alternatives:
· Nat, have you considered asking a few people you trust to see how they would look at this situation? It might help.
· You and Jack have been friends a long time, and he knows you so well, maybe you could ask him what he thinks. Sometimes a second opinion can help.
· I really do see the situation differently, if you’d like to hear my opinion on that.
Remember that just because a person holds a view that isn’t held by “everyone” else, it doesn’t mean the view is wrong.